Saturday, January 9, 2010

Twitter and Libraries

I set up a Twitter account (maryfrisco) and played around with it for a while. Reading Trending Topics and searching key words was interesting, but I don't know that it was all that fruitful for the time spent. Librarians might gain ideas from Trending Topics for programming or collection development, but it seems like a lot of searching and a lot of reading in order to do that. Libraries with Twitter accounts could regularly tweet announcements, such as the ones on our flat screens and screensavers. We could also send out info on new books, CDs, DVDs, programming, changes in hours, etc.

However, I think the jury is still out on Twitter. According to the CommonCraft video, Twitter is for filling in those blanks between blogs and e-mail. Who has time to do all that??? And how widespread are the demographics for Twitter? I couldn't understand part or all of a majority of the tweets I read. They certainly didn't sound like they were written by people of my generation (or the one after mine).

No comments:

Post a Comment