Friday, May 14, 2010

Hulu

Well, it's a little hard to stop watching Hulu long enough to blog about it! Even though I've looked over my husband's shoulder a couple times as he was watching something on Hulu, I was amazed when I explored the site for myself. What surprised me was the quantity of shows available, and the currency of them! Every show that I thought I might want to watch was available, and the most recent broadcasts, as well. I know, I'm showing my dinosaur qualities!

The truth is, I rarely watch tv, and when there's a show I think I might want to watch, I forget to turn on the tv (or have my husband turn it on for me -- there's three remotes, for Pete's sake!)

So here it is, all available before me, and I can even access it by myself! It was fun; I was kinda like a kid in the candy store. But like that kid, it's not where I expect to spend my life -- or even regularly visit. First, I don't watch that much tv; second, when I do, there's a lot to be said for lounging on the sofa in front of a big screen; and third, there's even more to be said for not having to watch advertisements.

So, what effect will Hulu and other online viewing sites have on libraries? I (a dinosuar) don't think there will be much negative impact on our DVD circulation. In fact, it could improve it, as customers become aware of or watch clips of programs on Hulu and then decide they want to watch it again without the commercials or some place where they don't have Internet access (not sure where that is!) However, technology continually changes, and as kids grow up watching and reading the majority of media on computers, it may seem as strange to them to watch a show on a tv in a living room as it does to me to watch it on a computer screen at my desk! That means watching the circulation of our physical DVDs vs downloadables, and responding (or anticipating) appropriately in our collection development.

I'm sure I've written more than you want to read, and besides, I've got to get back to Hulu.

No comments:

Post a Comment