Friday, May 14, 2010

Podcasting

Although I listened to all or parts of podcasts from several libraries, I found none that I would want to subscribe to. The were some that I might listen to (author interviews and book talks), if I was using a portable device and doing something else simultaneously--like walking or driving the car. In general, the audio quality was poor, with uneven volume. Most did not use a musical background or introduction. A lot depends on the speaker. If he or she is lively and humorous, it helps a lot; but some sounded like they were reading from a paper.

Having valuable or interesting content isn't enough; it must also be presented with technical excellence and be entertaining as well as informative. Otherwise people will go elsewhere to get the information in a quicker, less painful way.

Although I'm sounding critical, I realize that it takes a lot of time, talent, and energy to produce an interesting podcast and with many libraries, this is being asked of people who are already busy with numerous other tasks. I noticed that the Cheshire Public Library's podcasts were entirely "Teen-driven" -- a good idea for increasing teenage participation at the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment